Positive leaders understand how to bring out the best in people and organizations. They uncover potential and bring it to life. As a result, they lead teams known for high satisfaction and productivity.
Positive leadership is based on principles of Positive Psychology. This is not “happy-ology,” the power of positive thinking, a self-help movement, or a passing fad. It is the fastest growing area of psychology.
For the first 100 years, the field of psychology focused on mental health problems and how to remedy them. As a result, it had little to say about how to foster excellence. Positive Psychology corrects this imbalance by studying positive emotions, strengths-based character, ethical behavior, energizing relationships, and healthy organizations. It is a new science that examines how people thrive, excel, and flourish.
How can you practice positive leadership?
Here are 10 of the best resources:
- The Foundation of Positive Leadership – Positive Psychology, Adam Seaman http://positiveleadership.com/the-backdrop-of-positive-leadership-positive-psychology-part-1-of-2/
- 5 Positive Leadership Strategies, Jon Gordon http://www.jongordon.com/blog/5-positive-leadership-strategies/
- Positive Leadership: Success Without Collateral Damage, Schon Beechler, INSEAD Senior Affiliate Professor of Leadership and Organisational Behaviour http://knowledge.insead.edu/blog/insead-blog/positive-leadership-success-without-collateral-damage-3123
- Positive Leadership Strategies : Conversation 101, Ann Whittaker, IgniteSpot http://blog.ignitespot.com/positive-leadership-strategy-conversation
- Positive leadership yields performance and profitability: Effective organizations develop their strengths, Jay R. Tombaugh, Associate Professor of Management at the School of Business, University of Houston http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/14777280510590031
- Positive Leadership Toward Reinventing Organizations, Marcella Bremer, LeadChange Group http://leadchangegroup.com/positive-leadership-toward-reinventing-organizations/
- Positive Psychology at Work: Research and Practice, Dr. Suzy Greene and Olivia Evans, The Positivity Institute http://www.ippanetwork.org/wo-division/wo-division-newsletter/positive-psychology-at-work-research-and-practice/
- Building a Positive Team: Helping Your People be Happy and Engaged, MindTools https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/building-positive-team.htm
- Practicing Positive Leadership: Tools and Techniques That Create Extraordinary Results, Kim Cameron, Professor of Management and Organizations at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan http://www.amazon.com/Practicing-Positive-Leadership-Techniques-Extraordinary/dp/1609949722/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455631383&sr=1-3&keywords=positive+leadership
- How to Be a Positive Leader: Small Actions, Big Impact, Jane E Dutton and Gretchen Spreitzer http://www.amazon.com/How-Be-Positive-Leader-Actions/dp/1626560285/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1455631383&sr=1-4&keywords=positive+leadership