Positive leaders understand how to bring out the best in people and organizations. They uncover potential and bring it to life. As a result, they lead teams known for high satisfaction and productivity.
Positive leadership is based on principles of Positive Psychology. This is not “happy-ology,” the power of positive thinking, a self-help movement, or a passing fad. It is the fastest growing area of psychology.
For the first 100 years, the field of psychology focused on mental health problems and how to remedy them. As a result, it had little to say about how to foster excellence. Positive Psychology corrects this imbalance by studying positive emotions, strengths-based character, ethical behavior, energizing relationships, and healthy organizations. It is a new science that examines how people thrive, excel, and flourish.
How can you practice positive leadership? Here are 10 of the best resources:
- The Foundation of Positive Leadership – Positive Psychology, Adam Seaman
- 5 Positive Leadership Strategies, Jon Gordon
- Positive Leadership: Success Without Collateral Damage, Schon Beechler, INSEAD Senior Affiliate Professor of Leadership and Organisational Behaviour
- Positive Leadership Strategies : Conversation 101, Ann Whittaker, IgniteSpot
- Positive leadership yields performance and profitability: Effective organizations develop their strengths, Jay R. Tombaugh, Associate Professor of Management at the School of Business, University of Houston
- Positive Leadership Toward Reinventing Organizations, Marcella Bremer, LeadChange Group
- Positive Psychology at Work: Research and Practice, Dr. Suzy Greene and Olivia Evans, The Positivity Institute
- Building a Positive Team: Helping Your People be Happy and Engaged, MindTools
- Practicing Positive Leadership: Tools and Techniques That Create Extraordinary Results, Kim Cameron, Professor of Management and Organizations at the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan
- How to Be a Positive Leader: Small Actions, Big Impact, Jane E Dutton and Gretchen Spreitzer
RELATED: 15 Devastating Leadership Derailers
RELATED: 4 Pillars of Positive Leadership that Promise Results
RELATED: The Positive Leadership Manifesto